Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hurry up and read this...

Running late the other morning, hurrying to school, and wouldn't you know a car had to park in the right hand lane so I couldn't pull over and turn right. I don't know if that car was even parked legally and honestly I was annoyed. The light was red so the traffic wasn't moving, but I wanted to get into the right lane so I would be ready to turn when the light changed. Frustrated. Late. And then it hit me...why am I in such a hurry to get closer to that red light only to wait? Unlike Iowa, Chicago forbids right hand turns on red and even when the light changes to green the wait continues as all 60,000 people of Albany Park make their way across the street. Again...why was I in such a hurry only to wait?

We did make it to school that day and parked in our usual spot a block away. The van door flew open with a thud and out tumbled my clowns in a full-on backpack-bouncing sprint. Past the big houses, yielding momentarily at the alley, then trudging with weakening legs up to the corner where Angel Food Bakery sits. And there they stop. Slouched over, hands on their knees. Huffs and puffs as they look back in my direction, knowing they too had hurried only to wait for me to catch up so we could cross the street together. What's with hurrying to wait?

This thought sums up the journey of adoption. Paperwork, fingerprints, doctors appointments, social worker visits, and more paperwork. Hurrying only to wait. Many have asked where we're at in the process and my answer is waiting. Eight weeks of waiting for one piece of paperwork. And guess what??? Once we receive that paperwork, it will be submitted and we're back to waiting.

I guess this thought really sums up much of life. Why do I live my life hurrying to wait?

"Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalms 46:10

1 comment:

  1. good word. we are waiting too and with litle understanding just when everything will shake out- but He knows- nothing is a surprise to Him. Posted a cute kid pic at Chillis on my blog :) great hanging with your fam!

    ReplyDelete